Karschtl's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Oct 14, 09

bookshelves: biography, woman-ish, non-fiction, read-in-2009
Read in October, 2009

I picked this book up at a second hand sale because the cover looked 1) appealing and 2) kinda familiar. I mean, it says "#1 Bestsell" on almost every cover, but I'm sure I saw this one in several places before. And I later saw that this book is/was quite popular in the reading community.

I can understand why, although I expected a totally different thing when buying this book (a fictious novel instead of a travel/self-finding/spiritual journal) and religion and spirituality are absolutely not my cup of tea at all. Pity for me, there is quite a lot of talk about this throughout the book and especially in the second part about living in an ashram in India, of course. But nevertheless, I also read those parts (ok, when it really got too boring for me, I skimmed through the chapter, but this did not happen very often). And some of the ideas/rituals about forgetting the past and get on with your life in the presents sound very appealing, it's just that I'm absolutely not a person for such rituals. (but of course I've never tried it)

The writing style is very refreshing and diverting. And that's exactly what I needed since I read this book in the gym while being on the stairmaster. It's the perfect book for this, because of the shortness of the chapters. You can easily persuade yourself to keep going just for one more chapter, and if this one is short just one more, and if the lapsed time is odd numbered when finished this then stay on just for one more...and so on.

But the book is also quite informative: I knew next to nothing about Indonesia before, and now think that it could be a possible destination for a future vacation. The descriptions of the fauna sounded beautiful. On the other hand: just last week there was an earthquake/tsunami in this region, so maybe I should think this through a bit more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.