Ed's Reviews > The Unlikely Spy

Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: spy-political-thriller, historical-fiction, reviewed
Recommended for: Spy Fiction Fans
Read in November, 2011, read count: Once

I have read most of Silva's Gabriel Allon novels and have never been disappointed. I was slightly disappointed with this, his first book, I suspect because of my unrealistic expectations.

Not that this was a bad book but not up to Silva's subsequent offerings.

The story revolves around three characters: Catherine Blake, a Nazi spy who has assumed a British woman's identity, Peter Jordan, an American Engineer who becomes involved with Blake and is recruited by Alfred Vicary, a British professor tapped by Churchill to mislead the German's about the D-Day invasion's target.

Jordan is used to feed false info to Blake and becomes a sacrificial lamb when he dies trying to save a young girl from drowning.

There are many twists and turns of course. The final result as everyone knows is that Hitler remained convinced that the Allies will land at Calais and withholds crucial reinforcements from the Normandy beaches.

It is a measure of Silva's skill that, even knowing the outcome, I was entranced with the unfolding story. This book is an excellent introduction to Silva's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Spy.