Eva's Reviews > My Name Is Asher Lev

My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

F 50x66
Oct 17, 2011

I loved the imagery and the flowing nature of this story. A gal I go to book club with said it was like reading art, which is very appropriate for a book about a painter. I loved the anguish and personal journey of Asher Lev. I ached for his parents, and considered their difficult position as Orthodox Jews, and what it means to have a son painting with Christian images.
I judge a book by how much it makes me think. I thought a lot about religion, a lot about what makes art "real," and if artists create better work when they are tormented. I thought a lot about my role as a parent in encouraging talent, and especially the possible conflict between my beliefs and what my son/daughter might present me with at some future date.
[image error]

I love art, and I loved the allusions to so many famous works of art throughout the book. It was exciting to me to think of the original paintings I have seen in person that he refers to throughout the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Asher Lev.