April Hochstrasser's Reviews > The Story of Beautiful Girl

The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

Oct 17, 11

Read in October, 2011

Rachel Simon had some good moments in "The Story of Beautiful Girl" which tells the story of how, in 1968, Lynnie, a young woman with a developmental disability, and Homan, a deaf African American man, escape from an institution called The School for the Incurable and Feebleminded. They ran because Lynnie was pregnant by a school guard and the guard had threatened to throw the baby to the dogs if she told. They are recaptured, but not before Lynnie hids the baby with a childless widow. The widow goes on the run with the baby and doesn't connect with the birth mother ever again. Then the book goes on over 40 years as their lives separate and come back together.

It had some eye-opening revelations about the "school" they attended and some good insight into why those types of schools were eventually closed, and the inhabitants sent out into group homes. However, I would have cut about 1/3 of the book because it did tend to run on a bit. I wanted to get to the end long before the end got to me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Beautiful Girl.

message 1: by 5inabus (new)

5inabus hmmm...I wonder if this review should be hidden/warned for containing spoilers??! I haven't read it but now know the baby is fathered by the guard and that she never reconnects with the birth mother... I hope those aren't pivotal events?

Katie These are not pivotal events and a reader knows this within 50 pages of the book, whether it is written or inferred. It's not a whodunit mystery.