Nancy's Reviews > Sister

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

Oct 17, 11

Read in October, 2011

** spoiler alert ** It was a surprise ending for me and it changed how I thought of the narrative. The fact that the entire book was not a letter to her sister Tess but just her thoughts as she was bound and waiting to die, alleviated questions I had like why didn't Tess go to one of her many other friends when she was so frightened? The long story is that Beatrice (Bee) who lived in the US got a call from her mother that her sister was missing. She goes back to London and very soon the police find her sister's body and say it was a suicide. Beatrice doesn't think so and digs and digs into Tess's life and finds that she was killed by a doctor who was trying to do a human trial (illegally) on the back of a legal trial. Tess got the illegal treatment and the Dr. covered it up by killing Tess. In the meantime there are other characters that Bee suspects and of course the police do not believe her at all. Her fiance comes to London to help out but they break up as Bee refuses to accept that her sister killed herself and she realizes how shallow their relationship is. It was a total twist for me -- although I couldn't understand why she was being interviewed by the detective (which turns out to be not true-- just a part of her imagination) and her backouts and fear of being followed make total sense. I did enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister.