Sarah's Reviews > Poor Banished Children

Poor Banished Children by Fiorella de Maria

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011-list
Read from October 17 to 23, 2011

This book collected some dust on my to-read shelf. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it and I couldn't gauge how long it would take me to get immersed and interested. My to-read shelf is quite full (it's actually two shelves, and spilling over onto a third shelf), and one of the reasons so many of my books on Goodreads have four or five stars is that I don't start or finish books I don't think I'll like. (I am very, very picky with what I'll start and/or finish. In this season of life when reading time is precious, I have to defend my favorite hobby lest lose its fun!)

When I finally decided to read it, it was no worse for the waiting. The fact is, this is not just a novel: it's literature. I was gripped by the story and even more by the clear characterization and vivid scenery. This book could be used as an example for beginning authors of how flashbacks and memories can be used to move your story forward (as opposed to just being more muddle and fuddle).

I found myself reading this book and thinking of the many people who are less fortunate than I am, than many of us are. Somehow, this book made me think of the people who are so invisible to me. It made me consider in more depth the extent of what it means to have my modern life, both as it relates to the year 2011 and as it relates to my specific station in life right now.

Beyond that, this was just a great story. It had elements of uncertainty and suspense, topped at all times with stellar writing. Highly recommended.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poor Banished Children.