Sarai's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, young-adult, paranormal, fantasy
Read from October 17 to 18, 2011

Rating: 3.5

This was written beautifully. The cover doesn't do the story justice in my opinion. Taylor created a world completely new to me as far as the angels and the chimaera goes. She managed to weave magic and fantasy in this world effortlessly. However, the plot was very basic. Unrequited love between two lovers who are enemies since birth. The male love interest in the story is beautiful beyond words, physically perfect but with a dark past. A mentor who delivers tough love but has his reasons. A jealous sibling who wants what they can't have and betrays their loved ones. A big mistake that threatens to change everything. I felt like I'd heard it all before, and that's why this didn't get a full four stars. I give Taylor credit for writing and crafting a beautiful story, but I wasn't moved.

The mystery of the teeth, Karou's childhood, and the reason for the burning of the portals kept me hooked on the story. I had a thousand questions, but Taylor answered every one, taking her sweet time revealing the different pieces of the puzzle. Of course, near the end she forced me to ask some new ones, but I can't fault her for it. Speaking of the ending...

The ending had a great twist, one that tied in greatly with the story and the magical aspects of it. The strange attraction Akiva and Karou feel for each other from the beginning was later justified by a nice turn of events so I thought it was a satisfying ending, even though it was a cliff hanger. I'm eager for the next one.

10/17/2011 page 82
10/17/2011 page 223
53.0% "I kind of wish Akiva wasn't jaw droppingly beautiful and perfect and a tantalizing adonis. But then again, this is a YA novel."
10/18/2011 page 302
72.0% "What is it about unrequited love that gets me? I AM INTRIGUED."