Laura Summers's Reviews > Vision in White

Nov 13, 12

bookshelves: audio-books-i-own, bcc-reviewed, romance, listened-to-in-2012
Read from August 09 to November 13, 2012

Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

The thing about Nora Roberts is that she knows how to write about happy endings. Delicious, chocolatey, gooey happiness and contentment. I’ve read a lot of her books and sometimes they perfectly match my mood and give me a much needed moment of escapism.

VISION IN WHITE is the first book in her Bride Quartet series, following four best friends who have set up a wedding planning business. I’d seen many good reviews, so bought it as an audiobook.

The storytelling was immediately easy to sink into, even if the narrator’s accent took me a little while to adjust. Our heroine Mac, is a wedding photographer and a commitment phobe. With a wreck, serial monogamist and manipulative b*tch of a mother, the reason becomes quickly clear. Enter slightly geekish, English teacher Carter and you’ve got an unusual match and the beginnings of a lovely romance.

The banter between Mac and Carter is great. Carter is slightly bumbling, which just makes him cute. Alpha male lovers might want to look away here! Mac is direct, assertive and creative, with a rather marvelous shoe shopping skill. The backdrop of her photography work was interesting too. Giving a deeper insight into her character as you watched the way she treated her customers, and you could see the creative picture Roberts drew in these scenes.

The relationship between Mac and her three friends who run a wedding planning business together is refreshing, I loved the theme of sisterhood and friendship in the book, which was as important as the love story itself. Roberts has a real talent for writing characters, while she was obviously setting up stories for the remaining three books in the quartet, I felt as if I got to know the other three women and their journeys and look forward to picking up their books.

VISION IN WHITE is a simple story, there is no magic, no mystery, nothing but romance and wedding planning. And I have to admit I missed this, the second half of the story seemed a little slow and I felt like the story missed a climax, a pivotal life and death moment. I felt like I was waiting for it, only to be a little surprised to discover I’d reached the end. It’s not that every book I read has to have as supernatural element, but I felt like the story need a bit more of a kick to finish it.

VERDICT:

A lovely, gentle romance with a gooey, warm, happy ending that is guaranteed to make you smile. While the ending added that extra something, I very much enjoyed Mac and Carter’s story and will be definitely be reading the rest of the quartet. There is a reason why Roberts remains such a phenomenally successful author, because she knows how to write books you love to read and characters you could imagine yourself being friends with.

RATING: 3.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision in White.