Brandon's Reviews > Chasing Dogma

Chasing Dogma by Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: fiction, comix, laughtacular, 2011, image
Read in October, 2011

I'm a pretty big Kevin Smith fan. Well, maybe massive is the correct word. Did I mention I'm attending An Evening With Kevin Smith on November 7th in Halifax? No? Well, I just did. Anyway, normally, this lends me to have a ridiculous bias towards anything he creates. Unfortunately, this really didn't live up to my expectations.

The story builds a bridge between the end of Chasing Amy and the beginning of Dogma explaining what happened to Jay & Silent Bob. If you've seen Dogma, Jay describes basically what happened during a scene in a diner. The hapless duo were in search of Shermer, Illinois - the fictional town in John Hughes 1980s teen movies. Along the way, they get mixed up with an escaped monkey.

I guess the story was so well received, or Smith loved it so much, he took the escapades with the escaped monkey and turned it into Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. The movie is one of my favorites so I can't say why I really wasn't all that into this graphic novel. Maybe it was the artwork? I wasn't crazy about it. The dialogue was fine - your standard Smith stuff.

I did however, enjoy the subtle nods to the View Askewniverse as a whole. That's one thing I love about his movies, they all bleed together without acknowledging themselves as a "saga" of sorts. The odd character reference pops up which I really enjoyed. Smith did manage to show a lot of attention into even the smallest detail like costume changes - explaining how Jay and Bob managed to acquire different clothing from Chasing Amy to Dogma.

Overall, it's not required reading - only if you really need to know how Jay and Bob got from one movie to the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Dogma.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent I was disappointed when he reused the whole monkey sequence for Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Brandon I was pretty happy I read this after I had seen the movie. If I had done it the other way around I would have been in the same boat as you.

Edmund Davis-Quinn I think too much Jay, not enough anything else.

Brandon Edmund wrote: "I think too much Jay, not enough anything else."

I agree.

Edmund Davis-Quinn The Pittsburgh section showed the most promise, but this was a case where Kevin Smith could have used an editor.