Jessica's Reviews > Midwives

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

F_50x66
Oct 17, 11

Read in October, 2011

I felt like I really couldn't connect with the characters well. It didn't go into other characters head and how they felt. We only knew how Connie felt. I could not sympathize with Sybil ( the midwife) or her husband. I felt she was so selfish. She did what she wanted and didn't care how anyone else felt.
#1. She couldn't give up "catching" babies for the sake of her marriage when she and her husband fought over it.
#2. She knew her daughter was upset when she couldn't make it to dinner, but she always put her job first.
#3. She had something going on with the lawyer, that her husband was paying for, behind his back.
#4. She didn't want to take that sweet plea deal because she wouldn't give up being a midwife, only to end up giving it up anyways.
I don't have anything against home births or midwives, but she was reckless. Seriously, the prosecutor had a really good point, you knew the weather was going to be bad, and you didn't have the common sense to plan ahead? And another thing that made me angry was when another father testified about Sybil having his wife push for 10 hours! Really? TEN HOURS?!? PUSHING?!?

Maybe Sybil is this midwife that doesn't think things over. Maybe she really shouldn't be delivering babies at all. We only know the viewpoint of her 14 year old daughter, who of course is going to side with her dear mother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midwives.