Aaron Geno's Reviews > Insomnia

Oct 21, 11

Read from October 16 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

4.5/5

Scattershot thoughts:
-It was interesting to read a book with older protagonists; they're three dimensional characters, and I did become attached to them.
-The big reveal comes a little over halfway through the book, and while it's central to the plot, it does deflate the story of some of its sense of dread.
-There are allusions to elements of The Dark Tower, and I'm not sure what to make of those yet; I should probably get to those stories sooner than later as I get into King's work if he's going to be alluding to their story here and there.

It was engrossing; I read about 120 pages a night most nights, with a much larger chunk at the end—I'm probably not alone in that I reach a point of no return where I'm so close to the end that I have to finish the book, and one can't know where that point is on a first read.

I guess it should be stated that the abortion debate is central to the backdrop of the story, if that is something that would keep you away. King deals with it in an even-handed way for the most part, including characters that fall on either side of the debate with varying intensity, and I didn't find my own feelings on the topic to be a hinderance.

King's style is enjoyable here as in all his work that I've read to date. It's unfortunate that the big reveal pulls at least some of the dread, but it's still a great read, and I'd happily recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insomnia.

10/16/2011 page 54
10/17/2011 page 172
22.0% "I love long books. Give me a short story or give me 800 pages."
10/21/2011 page 787
100.0% "That's the trouble with reading a book for the first time; you never know where the point of no return is."
show 3 hidden updates…