Heather's Reviews > The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: memoir

If you have any interest at all in food, read this book!! I won't even tell you where Flinn earned her culinary degree because I don't want to scare readers off. But her devotion to making good tasting and healthy food easy and accessible to all is commendable.

Even though I've cooked for years, I still felt a boost in confidence after devouring this book. I've been a slave to recipes, afraid to substitute ingredients. No more! Flinn reinforces the point to experiment and substitute. Why not? It's only a meal. If it doesn't work, no big deal. As she says, there's always another meal tomorrow.

Also interesting (and pathetic) is how much food Americans throw away. I'm now going to try to clear out the refridgerator once and week and make a salad or soup with leftovers.

This book is a kind of funny mix of memoir, cooking technique and, mostly interesting, food information. It's a bit of an odd mix but it works! Highly recommend it!

Thank you to FirstReads and Viking for my copy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen Counter Cooking School.