Khalid's Reviews > Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Jun 22, 07

bookshelves: already-read
Read in August, 2004

Tuesdays with Morrie is a real story that occurred to [Mitch Albom] himself. Morrie Schwartz, a professor Mitch has been taught by during his university years, gets ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis – a disease), which results in Mitch remembering his old professor and deciding to visit him. This book talks about the journey Morrie had to take towards his death, and the way it affects Mitch, along with the memories it raises. By the end of the book, I had some tears in my eyes; it was touching.

Having read two of Mitch Album's books by now, I can say that I do not like his style of writing. The way he tries to jump from the past to the present and the other way around is just not good, and his use of the present tense is way too overdone. I do believe, however, that the contents of his books are worth reading something not all that well-written.

Morrie was a wise guy; I admit. Yet, not everything he said I agree with or approve of. He tried to sound above-it-all, but that did not work all the time. One instance that really annoyed me – and is the reason why I am writing this paragraph anyway – is when he started talking about aging. Aging, he says, is something we should be looking for. Oh yeah? That's what I call sour grapes, dear Morrie. If you're interested in his reasons, you can always go read the book. I do not want to spoil too much of the book's contents.

Do you fear death?

I guess I do, somehow. I feel I have not done enough – if any – good in this world to not be afraid of what's coming next. To be honest, I'm not just afraid of death itself; I'm afraid of aging before it and becoming helpless; I'm afraid of potential pain that could come just before I have my last breath; I'm definitely afraid of what happens beyond death, when I'm left to be judged for the good and the bad I have done; when all I have left is the forgiveness of God, and his mercy.

Morrie thinks it's lucky to die slowly; you get enough time to correct what you want corrected, he believes. That's a lovely way to think of it; none of us would want to die suddenly with things needing to be finished or corrected. Nonetheless, is it really lucky to see yourself decay and get weaker day by day, there is nothing more dreadful than slow increasing pain that has no end but death.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to write this story about the guy who gets told he has x days to live; after which he'd die. Tuesdays with Morrie is just that very same story, but it is too different than what I had in mind; it's nowhere like the one I would have written.

In my story, the dead guy would do everything he wants to do, he'd entertain himself, and do all the good things he would miss when dead. He'd go look at the world, and try all the interesting things out there; he'd simply do one thing: Be selfish in his last few days. Morrie's is just the opposite, and it happens to be a really story. So afterall, I will never write my story, Morrie's story is way more impressive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays with Morrie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary1mry (new)

Mary1mry holle

Tracey-Lee Write your story anyway :-). Write your story about this man and how he will fill his days before he dies. The thing is, many of us are so afraid of death and dying we don't dare even think about that part of our life story and the sad part about that is, just because we don't think about it doesn't mean it won't happen to us or to someone else we love or care for.

I know it sounds a little odd but being with death actually makes us truly appreciate the moments of life! Everyone may say they do anyway, but if we are honest, I think we still spend most of our time thinking about what has happened or what is going to happen. Most of us, me included, get caught up in the wishing or regretting part of life instead of living part.

I volunteer for hospice and I work with people who are dying and people who are grieving for people who have died. I may be lucky but so far I've never witnessed a death that was too slow, too long, or too painful for anyone. I could be wrong, but based on what I have witnessed, so far, death is an awe inspiring process, the final journey we take and when people are allowed to die with proper palliative care, in the environment of their choice, their death comes when and as it should, and it takes as long as it needs to for the person to come to peace with it and often for the family to accept it. At least I have been fortunate to witness this in every case I've seen.

Palliative care and hospice should be considered human rights, together, they offer a person the possibility of what I would call, "a good death". A good death, is the icing on the cake of a life well lived. The most peaceful and contented deaths happen when the dying and their family's have bravely spoken about death together, and made a plan about how and what they all would wish for in the end. It requires that we get uncomfortably close to a topic most people would rather ignore completely.

Write your story. :-). It'll be the most important story you ever write... Oh, and don't be surprised if you have to re-write parts of it a few times over the course of you life. The final draft may be very different, if and when you grow old compared to today's version. That's the wonderful part about living. We grow, we change. It's an adventure. I gather you are young and being so, you are many steps ahead of many people simply because you are willing to sit with the topic of death. I think that's a pretty wonderful thing. Good luck! I want to read that book of your's so keep me posted. :-)