Suzanne's Reviews > The Last Days of Pompeii

The Last Days of Pompeii by Edward Bulwer-Lytton

May 17, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Recommended for: my kids!
Read in May, 2008

I loved this book! It's fun to read about history in story form. It takes a bit of effort to get into the story at first, but half way through the book, it's hard to put it down. I was too tired to finish reading it last night, but woke up early (5:30AM) and finished it before doing anything else. It's a fascinating account of the unknown but one true God pursuing and rescuing some who were deeply immersed in the gods of their current culture and times. And also of the tragedy of the volcanic explosion and destruction of Pompeii.

I thought the following scene of a brother trying to explain his new found devotion to the true God was worth quoting:
"Thou art to be married to Glaucus - dost thou love him? Dost thou feel that for his sake, thou couldst renounce pride, brave dishonour, and incur death? I have heard that when women really love, it is to that excess."
"My brother, all this I could do for Glaucus, and feel that it were not a sacrifice. There is no sacrifice to those who love, in what is borne for the one we love."
"Enough! Shall woman feel thus for man, and man feel less devotion to his God?" p.233-4

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Days of Pompeii.