Tim Weed's Reviews > A Farewell to Arms

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

May 07, 12

bookshelves: favorites

The blurb on the cover of my copy of A Farewell to Arms says that Hemingway wrote in “short, declarative sentences and was known for his tough, terse prose.” Although this is certainly one way to describe his writing, I don’t entirely agree with it. For more, please read my full review: http://bit.ly/ITjfmK
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Farewell to Arms.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by R.j. (last edited May 10, 2012 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

R.j. Mccarthy Tim Read your analysis. Whew! What a lot of work!

Your comments re: repetition of words were quite stimulating. I've encountered writers who have been able to pull that off and of course I can't think of one at the moment. But Hemingway wasn't one of them. I always struggled with him.

What I have found is that often when I encounter bunched repetition, it comes across as unintentional suggesting a lack of quality editing. That said, I'm no editor and couldn't begin to parse Hemingway's writing (or that of anyone else) as you did. I very much appreciate your effort.

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gleeson Read your blog and tried to comment but of course wordpress doesn't like my links so it got refused. I enjoyed your analysis and agree with it. I think there is an immediacy about Hemingway's writing-- an almost childlike urgency to convey the impressions so that all the complex language is stripped away. I think it was an effect he crafted with care and precision, there is no chance about it.

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed Thanks for the feedback, both of you. Hemingway is a writer I appreciate greatly, though I see his flaws as well and he wrote some terrible novels as well as some great ones (and some of the best short stories in English). I agree with you Kristin that his writing was most deliberately crafted, especially in his earlier work.

Anyway, thanks for reading!