Morgan's Reviews > The Paper Bag Princess

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch

Oct 16, 2011

Read in October, 2011

Absolutely LOVED this book. It was super adorable, and a good story about independence, and intelligence. I was not expecting the 'twist' ending of this book, which is what a lot of post-modern picture books use now a days. I loved the fact that Princess Elizabeth said "so long" to her 'prince charming' and learned that she didn't need a man to make her happy, especially when all he cared about was appearances. The princess was smart and brave, and had a great self-worth, and I felt that she grew as a character throughout the book.

I would not make this book available to a classroom, however, because it shows Elizabeth without clothes on like the second page. While there is a cloud of smoke covering her lower half, there is no such cloud covering her upper body. As a teacher, I don't want to get in trouble with providing any sort of 'inappropriate' image. I think that that is unfortunate, because I really liked the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Bag Princess.