Allison's Reviews > A Fistful of Sky

A Fistful of Sky by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: ya-teen, glbtq, magical-realism-ish, adult

So good, but I think it's still too early for me to write a real review. I have to let it simmer for a while. All I know is that I love Gyp. She's the most realistic character I've read in a long time. And I love Altria and her relationship with Gyp. A great coming of age story, true to the age at which that happens today (20-ish), with a really different perspective on magic and curses and which is which.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fistful of Sky.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah randomly came upon this book... i had it on my to-read list but I see you marked it glbtq, which I hadn't realized. are there queer women? could I bring it to the lesbian reading group?

Allison Yes, but with a small caveat.

The main character, Gyp, is trying to find her place in her family as the only one with this destructive magical power. While she's doing that, she kind of brings into being this dark spirit that takes on the form of a woman named Altria. Gyp and Altria have a strong bond and they end up having a kind of romantic relationship, though Gyp is also interested in this guy at the same time. So I think the relationship with Altria is partially Gyp finding her own identity and coming to accept and love herself, and also partly attraction like any relationship. And I think it's left open that their relationship might continue in the other books in the series.

So, the glbtq theme is definitely there, especially towards the end, but it's not one of the main themes. And the book never casts Gyp as one type of sexuality of another. The focus is really on Gyp's self-acceptance and getting her new magical abilities under control. Hope that helps!

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah excellent. thanks, i'll check it out.

Allison Great! I'd be interested to find out what everybody thinks of it as an lgbtq book if you end up reading it for the reading group.