Martin's Reviews > The Assault

The Assault by Harry Mulisch

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011books, favorites
Read from October 16 to 28, 2011

Assigned to me in my freshman seminar at The College of William & Mary (in 1998!) by my favorite professor, David Holmes, I'm embarrassed it has taken me this long to get around to reading. This is a phenomenal, beautiful, gripping book. Even given your smidgeon of standard translated-dialogue clunkiness, the psychology, the descriptions, and the behavior of the characters came through with stunning -- and heartbreaking -- clarity.

Simply beautiful to read, and impossible to put down in spite of the grim and tragic subject matter.

I'm embarrassed it took me nearly 14 years to read this great novel, but I'm both glad that I continued to carry it along with me all these years, and thankful again to Prof. Holmes for assigning it in the first place. In honor of his retirement from W&M after many years of tremendous work on behalf of the college and its students, I'm humbled to have completed his first assignment to me at last.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assault.

10/20/2011 page 54
29.0% "the first 52 pages of this book are absolutely amazing gut-punch brilliant. wow."