Erica's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Oct 16, 11

Read in October, 2011

this month's selection for YA book club!

I didn't HATE this book...but I felt its "YA-ness" far more than I do with our usual picks. The overarching message of "be nice to people, or they might commit suicide" was laid on WAY too thick, and I found myself wishing Hannah would have just sucked it up. Obviously, there are many teens (and adults) who go through common troubles and don't suck it up, but in all honesty I didn't feel like anything she went through was all that bad. And I say this as someone who was very, VERY depressed in high school.

Also, making a set of tapes before your suicide and forcing not only all the people you feel "wronged" you (some of whom actually did terrible things and some of whom did semi-innocent teenage things) AND two people you feel did NOT wrong you to listen to them after you die is pretty psycho. I found it very hard to sympathize with Hannah because of this. She wasn't a real character to me, just a way for the author to get his "if you're 16 and you believe a rumor or tell one lie it might make someone kill herself!" message across.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew Shaffer I read it and I couldn't agree more. If one lie or rumor is enough to push someone over the edge, then ANYTHING could have pushed that person over the edge. Hannah was a sociopath, as evidenced by leaving the tapes behind to punish people for (mostly) minor infractions. Suicidal teenagers need professional psychiatric help, not a dimwitted classmate to reach a hand out to them.