Laura's Reviews > Feed

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, young-adult
Read from December 27 to 28, 2011

I'd heard about Feed for a while. I think Donalyn Miller was the first to mention it at a librarian conference I attended in Dallas.

Feed deserves a much higher rating than I gave it. The writing is good and disturbing, not quite what I was looking for in a light read for over the Christmas break. Coincidentally, I'd just listened to Taylor Mali's "Like, You Know" on youtube.com and as I read the first few chapters, I "heard" Taylor Mali" reading the book to me. MT Anderson captured teenage dialogue perfectly.

I would not use Feed in middle school at all. There's too much cursing in it and I know I'd have parents griping. Despite that, I wish I could give it to my students to read. "Feed" brings up several of the issues I fear for my students: mass consumerism, the low quality of daily vocabulary, the disconnect caused by being constantly connected.

I had a hard time placing the book. I wanted to place it as post-apocalyptic but it's not; it's apocalyptic. The world is in the process of dying... as are the humans who don't realize it yet. I guess it could be dystopian because it's a future I don't ever want to experience although it is set in the near future, my great-grandchildren's time. It's definitely science fiction, not fantasy.

I'd give Feed to older teenagers. It would be an excellent book for a literature circle. I've even thought about using a chapter or two for a Socratic Seminar. There's lots of food for thought in Feed, just not at Christmas time when I want light, happy books. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.