Shilpa Mudiganti's Reviews > The Fallen and Leviathan

The Fallen and Leviathan by Thomas E. Sniegoski

Oct 16, 2011

liked it

This series is about Aaron Corbet, a regular high school student who starts hearing voices, understand and speak foreign languages and have massive headaches right on his eighteenth birthday. Slowly, through a series of events, he discovers that he is a half-breed between an angel and a human. Also, that he is destined for greater things. But he is also being relentlessly chased to be killed by Powers for they think half-breeds like him are a blight on their heritage. The first book, The Fallen (of the omnibus The Fallen and The Leviathan), narrates how Aaron comes to terms with his changed body and future. The book ends with his decision to find his brother who has been stolen by the Powers.

What works for the book?
First and foremost, the cover page. I have described above what I mean by it. :)

Second, is the story. The story itself has lot of potential. I haven't read any other angel fantasy to compare though. But it kind of held my interest to read it till the last.

The character, Aaron himself. He is a very likable character. His appearance is not described at all in the book. Yet, one would instantly feel the warmth because of his sensitivity to his foster family, his efforts to build a good future through education, his sweet attitude towards his crush. He is the one who would not let you go through out the book. You would want to find out what happened to him in the end.

What does not work for the book? (Spoiler Alert!)
The narration. I found myself not even sighing when Aaron loses his family that too in such a brutal manner. There is no depth to really care in the book. I constantly had this feeling that there is a soundproof glass between me and the story and there is a lot that is not reaching me. The story in itself has great potential and I wish the writing didn't hold it back.

Rest of the characters. It would have helped a lot if there was a bit more description about them. Their background, their features,etc. At the expense of repeating myself, there is a lot that is missing out and I would have loved to get all that extra information in the book.

Verdict
It is just about decent. If you are willing to try variety, this is a harmless book. But if you just do not have patience to put up with an average book, then steer clear of this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallen and Leviathan.