Casey's Reviews > Little Red Riding Hood

Little Red Riding Hood by Jerry Pinkney

Oct 16, 11

Read in October, 2011

1. Genre: Traditional Literature

2. Summary: A great retelling of the classic fairytale, Little Red Riding Hood. Little Red Riding Hood is off to visit her ill grandmother and runs into a mean old wolf in the woods. Watch as wolf cunningly tricks Little Red and her grandmomma into eating the whole.

3. Critique:
a.) Jerry Pinkney is wiggling his way into my heart as one of my favorite childrens novelists. His illustrations in this story of Little Red Riding Hood are brilliant.

b.) Jerry Pinkney's watercolors are so vivid and detail oriented. Every time I read one of his stories I continue to be amazed by how much detail he manages to paint into his watercolors especially in the woodland surroundings of this story.

c.) The wolf looks so realistic in this story due to Pinkney's watercolor illustrations. The story is so beautiful and easy to read. The illustrations are what draw you into this story and make the classic fairytale come to life.

4. Curriculum Connection: This would be a great book to read-aloud to a class of third or fourth graders. Even though most third and fourth graders should be reading chapter books they still love to hear a great classic story with lots of wonderful illustrations. I know my kids do. They really enjoy when someone else reads it to them because they get to hear the different voices and tones while reading it aloud. You could connect this to the reading curriculum by discussing the genre fairytales. This would be a great book to introduce the lesson and then branch out to more fairytales from other cultures. For example, Native American folktales like the Indian Paintbrush, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Red Riding Hood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue One of the things to look for in Pinkney's art is his use of the color red - when this book came out I thought "perfect!"