Michelle's Reviews > Silver Sparrow

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

Oct 16, 11

Read in October, 2011

I don't even remember where I heard about this book, but when it appeared in my library queue, ready to download, I jumped on it. It was compelling from all angles; I will admit, however, that (SPOILER) when the two sisters meet for the first time, while only one of them knows the truth, I think I was expecting more drama. Maybe that was a personal peeve, for personal reasons, and it didn't detract from the overall emotional punch of the book. The ending, too, reminded me a little of Bastard Out Of Carolina in that a woman chose a man over her own daughter. BOOC definitely packed more emotion out of that scene, with good reason given the circumstances, but even in Silver Sparrow it's hard not to pass judgement on someone who chooses to reunite with a partner despite huge, huge betrayal and abuse. I know there are massive psychological factors that play into that, and I don't expect a work of popular fiction to address those, but again, it was a source of personal frustration for me. Even with all of that, though, I recommend this. For some reason, it surpassed my expectations in many ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Sparrow.