Fritz Schneider's Reviews > The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer

The Ice Man by Philip Carlo

M 50x66
Feb 16, 2016

it was ok

My experience reading this book was the same as my experience reading A Million Little Pieces: amazement at first, turning slowly to mild disbelief, then later outrage at having had my time wasted. There's no way that half of what's in this book is true, and I'm not the only one to think this: see extensive debunking references in negative reviews on amazon.

No doubt Kulkinski was a bad dude, but he's also a bad liar. I'm not sure what part of this story pushed me into total disbelief, but perhaps it was somewhere around where Kulkinski buys two hundred pounds of marijuana from a guy he's never met before, a guy who keeps his weed in a secret room off of his living room, and who also takes that opportunity to show Kulkinski the half dozen child sex slaves "both black and white, male and female" he keeps hidden under his stairs. Or perhaps it was when he claimed responsibility for killing Jimmy Hoffa, I forget.

It's hard to believe that the author didn't know that he was writing make believe, especially given the total lack of sources, footnotes, and reference material.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Man.

02/16 marked as: read

Andrew PREACH!! Awful book, pure fiction.

Janet uy who keeps his weed in a secret room off of his living room, and who also takes that opportunity to show Kulkinski the half dozen child sex slaves "both black and white, male and female" he keeps hidden under his stairs!!!!!! I don't remember that??? What page is that on?

Jenn Page 295

Janet This is worth seeing before you make up your minds.

message 5: by Cam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cam Walker That's the thing when writing books based on someone's personal account. People will make things up, exaggerate the story and make it more fantastic than it really was. Criminals especially have a habit of exaggerating everything to make themselves look more hardcore etc.

message 6: by Fritz (last edited Feb 16, 2016 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fritz Schneider Janet wrote: "uy who keeps his weed in a secret room off of his living room, and who also takes that opportunity to show Kulkinski the half dozen child sex slaves "both black and white, male and female" he keeps hidden under his stairs!!!!!! I don't remember that??? What page is that on? "

Page 374 according to Google Books (my copy has long since been used for toilet paper).

Janet Fritz wrote: "Janet wrote: "uy who keeps his weed in a secret room off of his living room, and who also takes that opportunity to show Kulkinski the half dozen child sex slaves "both black and white, male and fe..."
Just looked, page 374 is about the killing of DeMeo not pot or slaves, I can't find those other bits anywhere.

Janet Jenn wrote: "Page 295"
295 in my copy is about him getting an office so that he could let off steam away from Barbara.

message 9: by Fritz (last edited Feb 17, 2016 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fritz Schneider Just looked, page 374 is about the killing of DeMeo not pot or slaves, I can't find those other bits anywhere

It's in Chapter 45 (titled "How the f___ you doing?").

In the *kindle* version it's on page 373 or 374 -- the page numbers shifts around, but just start skimming Ch 45 looking for the exchange below.

Richard gets back from Zurich and Spasudo introduces Richard (shall I call him dick?) to a guy in New Jersey to buy pot from. The paragraph before starts "The friend lived in a nice house in an exclusive area of North Jersey". The next paragraph starts, "'What toys would that be,' asked Richard." The toys are, of course, the child sex slaves. It goes on, "Would you like one of them?" etc

Janet Fritz wrote: "Just looked, page 374 is about the killing of DeMeo not pot or slaves, I can't find those other bits anywhere

It's in Chapter 45 (titled "How the f___ you doing?").

In the *kindle* version it's..."

I will have a look later, thank you.