Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Exiled

Exiled by M.R. Merrick

Oct 22, 11

Read from October 16 to 22, 2011

This is not first time that I’ve read something that I didn’t feel as enthused as everyone did. I’ve just gone through the reviews for this on Goodreads and everyone seems to be in complete agreement. Heck, it averages 4.74 stars, a quick indication that it truly is an awesome read.

Once again, I’m on the outside looking in.

This book is short, and such, should’ve taken me a day or two – tops to read. But I’ve had this fermenting on my currently reading shelf since last Saturday and it just wasn’t holding my attention. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why that is. Surely, I can’t complain about the writing. It was done perfectly well. There is something about the author's style that I found refreshing, direct to the point and most certainly non-convoluted. It’s not even the world building because MR Merrick created one that parallels an exceptional paranormal world where vampires, shifters, witches and warlocks were the norm.

I have a feeling that my reading taste is evolving. Vampires no longer excite me – heck, other mythical creatures no longer excite me. Should I really feel bad that I’m feeling a bit excluded from everyone’s enthusiasm over this book? A little bit. I found myself asking, “What the heck am I missing?”

This book is written from a male’s POV, a rare find amongst the hundreds of books in my reading pile. I usually enjoy those – but I couldn’t with this book. There is a certain detachment to Chase that I regretfully, unable to empathize. I also couldn’t summon enough interest to find out what Rayna was. I feel so bad because I think I’m not giving this book a fighting chance and doubly awful because this is from my Indie shelf.

Perhaps I should’ve just stopped halfway through the book and re-shelved it for future reading but I pushed on because I kept hoping that the book would incite some excitement in me. The funny thing is, this book was paced well. There was no lull as soon as you get to page one. The action was non-stop, enough to give you a pulse pounding high. But I was at an automaton mode, reading for the sake of that feeling I get after i finished a book - accomplished and somehow sated by the fact that I gave the book a chance.

I think this is the most contradicting review I’ve written as of yet. I can’t fault the book or the author but I can honestly say, that this time, it’s all on me, folks.

It just wasn’t my book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exiled.