Donura's Reviews > The Lace Reader

AUTHOR: Brunonia Barry
PUBLISHER: Harper Collins
COPYRIGHT: 2008

RATING: 5 out of 5

This is a book that will keep you up late. I loved the building of the story, the way the lace literally was woven into the story. The history of the witches of Salem, MA is not an overpowering theme, yet the author continues to feed you little bits of not-common knowledge regarding their presence in Salem. The rich and detailed description of Salem offers the reader a real visual of place that one could actually visit. By the end of the book, it was a destination for me.

The story is full of powerful women, each with their own gift and an ability to overcome what life has dealt them, maybe not the first time but over time. I was carried right into the story and did not want it to end. Towner (Sophya) was someone I continued to root for to the very end. I felt that Ms. Barry planted enough background for the reader but never gave away the ending. At least, she kept me guessing until the very end. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a mystery to read like all good literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Reader.