B's Reviews > Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health

Wheat Belly by William  Davis

6191385
Oct 16, 11

Read in October, 2011

The first hundred pages of the book were quite interesting and eye opening. Indeed there are a lot of potential downfalls that we as a society have suffered as a result of mass processed wheat. Unfortunately we have to read through almost an additional hundred pages of vilifying wheat before we get to the concrete eat this, not that. I found that second hundred pages rather tedious, I'm already on board and ready to give up wheat, and now you are going to walk me through the complexities of every remaining organ system and how wheat may have a detrimental effect?

While I think there is good science behind all of the potential adverse effects I also felt like there was some degree of scare tactic. I think we can indeed benefit from reducing or eliminating wheat however I'm just not seeing enough people in my day to day life suffering immensely as a result of eating wheat. Celiac disease is a very serious condition, and though its incidence may be increasing it is still not as common as many other diseases.

With regard to the recommendations for diet changes, they make a lot of sense but aren't particularly revolutionary. Reduce the amount of processed foods (specifically reducing or eliminating wheat) and increase the amount of vegetables, meat, and fruit in the diet. Eat healthy oils and fats. Where I disagree with Dr. Davis' recommendations is in regard to other sources of carbohydrate. He is very critical of wheat's high Glycemic Index, yet recommends very sparingly foods with a low GI like chickpeas. Despite the push for healthy unprocessed foods many of the recipes in Appendix B contain artificial sweeteners.

Does the book achieve the call to action to want to give up wheat? For me, yes I am motivated to change. I would suggest reading the first few chapters then skipping to part 2 and getting down to planning exactly how you will achieve that. This is a decently written book that suffered from poor editing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wheat Belly.