Kathleen (Kat) Smith's Reviews > The Night Eternal

The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: dark-fantasy-horror-fiction, supense-thriller-fiction
Read in October, 2011

When the unthinkable happens to the entire world, chaos will soon reign and humans will be farmed and hunted. So is the premise behind the latest novel from Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan in The Night Eternal.

For just two hours a day, a faint muted light falls upon the earth as sunlight, leaving the rest of the day in darkness. This is the result of nuclear fallout that now blankets the earth and creates prime living conditions for a new race called strigoi, a type of vampire that is infected with a worm like virus. The Master, as he is called, has formed a new race on earth, the strigoi, that live only to feed and with the only way to kill them being the use of silver weapons and nuclear devices, the strigoi have been collecting them as a way to ensure their own survival from the remaining humans who would like to see them destroyed.

The humans that remain that are unwilling or unable to fight back are kept in collective farms, herded like livestock, throughout the world in various cities, as a way to ensure that the strigoi will always have enough food. B+ blood being the most sought after are treated far better than the rest of the human race and the elderly are dispatched quickly. Only a handful of humans seek to uncover the secret that lies within a silver bound book called the Occido Lumen entrusted to them by a man called Setrakian. In it contains the way to destroy the Master and the muted race of strigoi and hopefully restore the world before all hope is lost. Will they be able to decipher the book before they are all hunted down and eliminated?

I received this book compliments of William Morrow, a division of Harper Collins Publishers for my honest review. I saw this book comparable to the movie I Am Legend but with more in depth story content. A warning to some of my readers that this book does contain a fair amount of profanity but overall the story is well written and thought out. I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars and for those the like a story that pits good against evil, then this is definitely a book for you. This is book 3 in The Strain Trilogy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Eternal.