Kevin Murphy's Reviews > The Final Detail

The Final Detail by Harlan Coben

Oct 24, 11

Read from October 16 to 24, 2011

Neither my favorite, nor the most interesting of the Bolitar series. I hope this serial hasn't run its course. I LOVED the first 5 books, and Harlan Coben is the only author I've ever read who rivets me to the point of finishing each and every book within a week. However, this effort felt forced. This effort felt cliche. And this effort severely disappointed me. For one thing, not enough Win. For another, not enough baseball. All the other books deeply involved the sports side, but this one only featured one scene on a baseball field. A sport with such a rich history, our Great American Pasttime, deserved a more appropriate first appearance in this series. Also, as with other writers in many genres, Coben twisted and turned us for 300 pages, only to wrap up the mystery with a couple pages of dialogue where Myron explains everything to us. We are told what happened, instead of shown - "Ocean's 12" style. In this case, though, the intrigue of the author's effort wasn't nearly as interesting or well enough crafted to overshadow its most glaring shortcoming: not enough substance. Of course, I will keep reading... But I do hope that Coben was merely ill while conceiving of and constructing this particular chapter of the Myron Bolitar saga.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Detail.