Nola's Reviews > The Go-Getter: A Story That Tells You How To Be One

The Go-Getter by Peter B. Kyne

F 50x66
May 16, 08

Recommended to Nola by: Dave Ramsey
Recommended for: Business owners, employees, parents, spouses
Read in May, 2008

Although this story is told from a fictional standpoint, it is as illuminating as any nonfiction book on sales I have ever read. It is also short, concise, and to the point – I finished it in under two hours, at lunchtime, with four kids hanging on me. It is simple and easy to understand, which is why I gave it to my seven year old (granted, she does read at an advanced level); she may not catch the overall lessons, but I’m hoping just a little will seep into her brain.

So what is this inspirational story about? It is the tale of the original “go-getter,” the story from whence the term evolved, according to Dave Ramsey. It is the story of a man who will let nothing stop him when it comes to going the extra mile and exceeding expectations. Bill Peck first goes the extra mile to get a job, and then continues above and beyond what is asked of him. After watching his brilliant performance over the course of several months, his boss assigns him to find “the blue vase” – and then does everything possible to ensure failure in the task. But Peck again exceeds expectations by triumphantly leaping every hurdle, and his tale is one of encouragement to those of us who are so tempted to give up.

I’ve heard the Go-Getter recommended for those in sales, as well for any employee or small business owner. But its message goes even beyond the mundane workforce. As a stay-at-home-mom, I felt it had a message for me. Do I make certain every obligation is met, every promise is kept? Do I sit down and take it easy when I should be making things better? Isn’t that same work ethic as applicable in my life as it is in my husband’s? Think, too, of its applications in marriage – recommit to the things you promised, seek out excellence, refuse to take the lazy path. The rewards in all walks of life are far beyond the $10,000 salary Peck ultimately receives.

And so I’m passing along my recommendation for all to read. This is a story of a sincere work ethic and commitment to excellence that many people today lack. It is a tale of things needed to strengthen our homes and society. It is an easy and delightful read that broadens the mind and provokes the thoughts.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Go-Getter.