Robin's Reviews > Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears

Taking the Leap by Pema Chödrön

Oct 16, 2011

Recommended for: someone looking to change thier lifestyle
Read in October, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 2

If this book works for you - good
If this book doesn't - set it aside and look elsewhere
I heard the Dalai Lama once say that if a Buddhist teaching helps you than use it, if it doesn't than don't and not to worry.

This book, along with Pema's other works, is helping me let go of negativity and an addiction. I've found peace and am working towards having more spirituality in my life. I think the "trick" to this book being a help in life is being in a place of desire for change through these teaching. Being ready for Buddhist thought, which I feel is all about being content with what you have.

I am a Christian, but there really doesn't seem to be anything in my church that is all that practical in the self-help vain. It is all "read your scriptures and pray" or "go thy way and sin no more". I found Pema's teachings to be the missing link between these Christian doctrines and how to practice them. This book helped me put into practice the changing of mind, attitude, and outlooks. I'm a much calmer and kinder person now. I think "let go" or "It's not me" whenever I find myself getting upset over something or craving things I don't really want.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking the Leap.