Laurie's Reviews > Lost Memory of Skin

Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks

Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: ebooks
Read from October 16 to 21, 2011

Very thought provoking novel! If you are looking for a nice feel-good book to read this is definitely NOT it. But.. if you don't mind looking at the dark side of society and contemplating some harsh realities you may like it as i did. The novel is about a 22 yr. old sex offender who lives under the causeway in Fla. as an outcast from society as he must live 2500 feet from schools, parks and children. He becomes part of a society of others who are also members of the national sex registry. He eventually meets a professor who wants to learn how the sex offender ticks and how society can better manage these people. The professor is a misfit himself in society being extremely obese, a genius, with a strange personality and secrets of his own. I actually found myself feeling sorry for this sex offender if one can imagine such a thing certainly not I! In the end the sex offender has an epiphany and begins to discover himself in ways he had never done before so it ends on a high note despite its dark side. I will certainly be thinking of this book for wks. I think and asking myself many questions. Obviously i felt sorry for him due to his age as well as his mental capabilities and his upbringing but at what age does one decide ok you don't deserve our sympathy. Secondly how much of our high-tech technology has contributed to our emotional disconnect from others and ourselves as human beings. What may seem true may not be the truth at all and what is the truth that matters? To quote the book, the truth that matters is what we believe. And what are we as a society to do with these people and where should they be sent? Can they change? Are their exceptions and if so how does one know? As i said this one will leave you thinking and perhaps we all should take a hard look at our society and where we are headed and why. 4.5 stars for this one from me!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Memory of Skin.