Dany's Reviews > The Ridge

The Ridge by Michael Koryta

Oct 20, 11

Read from October 16 to 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 rating during most of the read but the last half brought it to a 4. I was slower to connect to the story through the characters during the first half of the book. I have a better insight into the big cat preservation world and appreciate how well Koryta developed their story into the novel but maybe I wasn't enthralled with the cat world like other readers may. However the death scene of the tiger Kino and Wesley was a powerful one and helped me understand how cats might think when they attack a caretaker by instinct. The last half picked up and I really connected to Kevin Kimble in the end, it just took a while to get there and was worth it. He has a section at the end where he is parked outside his old church and he is full of self reflection and wondering about the nature of evil that was poignant. How he felt changed as a result of his loss of privacy after being shot by Jacqueline. I loved this quote from Kimble about how he would directly question God:

"You have bound us," Kimble imagined saying, "to an evil world. Where is the love in that?"
And in that scenario, God always answered, "Temporarily bound you, yes. Now, during your time in that evil world, did you do anything to help?" For that that, Kevin Kimble would have an answer, firm as steel, "Yes."

Kevin Kimble powerfully proves this part of his character in the end.

I enjoyed Roy's character and the nostalgic feelings created through him about the decline of the written news as his life long career as a newspaper reporter came to an end when the company closed.

I loved the ghost story and it's history in Blade Ridge and how Wyatt French fought the evil the best he could with his Light House. The twist in the end got me! I never suspected until the reveal.

This is my 3rd Koryta read, and he's been a great storyteller in all three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ridge.

10/18/2011 page 115
32.0% "Lots of big cats around here."
show 1 hidden update…