Mary Etta's Reviews > The Big Rock Candy Mountain

The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner

Oct 16, 11

Read from October 01 to 15, 2011

I always wonder what the difference might be in a book in print vs. an audio book. In any case I always like a Stegner book. He writes so much better than many others I currently read.

I happen to be also reading in print "Look Homeward Angel", Thomas Wolfe. Apparently, both writing biographically. Both had abusive childhoods. Wolfe takes a very long time to tell his story, much description and detail. Both great writers. I prefer Stegner's telling though both are hard to read in the hurt that is there. Yet, there is value in exposing the hurt. Haven't finished Wolfe yet. Stegner comes to salvage good from the hurt with life lessons learned. That is tough in a tough setting. It is also uplifting and hopeful. His great respect for his mother is documented and perhaps gives evidence for his value of other women of whom he has written. He notices them and their strengths.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann This was an interesting story - supposedly autobiographical for Stegner. He approached the difficulties objectively. I've been on a Stegner kick.