Rebecca's Reviews > The Night Strangers

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

2021274
Oct 16, 11

Reading The Night Strangers reminded me that I haven't really liked a Chris Bohjalian book since Skeletons at the Feast and, long before that, the famous Midwives. I loved Midwives. Nearly every book since then has been a struggle for me to read because Bohjalian, in trying to explain his characters' current motivations, constantly interrupts an otherwise interesting plot to shoehorn every single detail of their back stories. Unfortunately, those details get horribly repetitive (How many times can an author use the word "augur" in a novel? Read this and find out!) and predictable and, sadly, make everyone between the covers rather boring.

I read Strangers in nearly one sitting on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I did so because I wanted to find out what happened--Chris is very good at suspense--but I didn't come away with an interest in any character. Despite knowing every single thing about their lives, none of them came to life. And that's a shame in a book where they're competing for attention with the dead.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Strangers.