Alkyoni's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

3720870
Feb 09, 14

bookshelves: somewhere-in-neverland, dreamcatcher, say-anything, first-in-a-series, series-in-progress, the-evi-files
Recommended to Alkyoni by: Tatiana's review
Read from May 26 to June 03, 2012 — I own a copy

There was a time that Lumatere had been a blessed kingdom. From the mountains to the river, from the forest to the rocks, people worked the land next to their friends and neighbors under the gaze of their beloved King and Queen, whose older daughters had beauty that could not be matched, and their younger brother would one day become a fair king in his father’s place. The commerce business was thriving, the Royal Guard was protecting the people from hostile invaders and the Goddess was smiling because her children were content.

But that was before the five days of the unspeakable; before the floors of the Palace were painted red with the Royal Couple’s blood; before the bodies of the beautiful princesses were found broken; before the young Prince disappeared leaving a trace of blood behind him; before the captain of the Guard was imprisoned and his beautiful wife sentenced to death for treason; before the Curse trapped the people inside the kingdom within its walls and kept the ones outside unable to enter it, condemning them to exile in hostile lands.

Lumatere is a ghost of kingdom now, forgotten to all outside its walls, except to the ones that left it behind. These are the ones that now live as strangers in strange lands, suffering in fever camps, treated like animals and chased away with swords. Their only hope is that the Prince will return with the help of the Royal Guard and lead them back home, but a young man among them does not dare to hope. He travels in search for a piece of land that will serve as a new home for his people. In his travels he will meet a girl full of mystery, with eyes dark as the night, and that will be the beginning of everything.

You know, if I had a penny every time that someone said what an amazing author Melina Marchetta is, Greece would be out of the crisis by now. It’s a good thing that I didn’t bet against them, because they were obviously right.

Finnikin of the Rock is filled with gorgeous writing, unforgettable characters and a rollercoaster of emotions.

Had I known more about the plot before I picked it up, I probably would not have read it. Many characters in this book have suffered severe abuse, some since their childhood, others later in life. This is a subject that I always try to avoid both in literature and the movies; it’s something that I just don’t have the stomach for. I am grateful that Marchetta didn’t get into any graphic details and used her writing skills to imply the suffering that they had gone through. I’m even more grateful to her for making them strong, for not breaking them and for creating some of the most remarkable characters that I’ve ever encountered in fiction.

The men are strong, both physically and in spirit; but the women are even stronger, working in mysterious ways that leave the males both frustrated and in awe.

I can’t imagine how a plot with these characters would unfold in the hands of another author but in Marchetta’s hands, it felt like traveling into a dense forest with warm rays of sunshine breaking through the leaves. A father’s love for his son; a Guard’s loyalty to its captain; a lost boy becoming a man; a young love; and the hope that against all odds there will still be a way for all of them to return home.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

05/30/2012 page 49
12.0% "Thank God for the maps in the first pages, I'd be lost without them. I had forgotten what it feels like to navigate through epic fantasy :')"
06/01/2012 page 100
24.0% "I really like it but I wasn't expecting the characters to have suffered so much abuse. In the hands of another author I don't know how it would have worked out, but Marchetta's writing is just wonderful." 9 comments

missEvi [can't commit to a book] teleio fantastiko super katapliktiko!!

Alkyoni I will, I will, I promise. From now on, every time that I finish a book, you will be giving me a number from 1-86, and that will be the series that I'll be reading next :] It's geeky and adorable, don't you think?

missEvi [can't commit to a book] 1-86? ok ok I like it!! welcome back

Alkyoni 8a mou parei kamia vdomada, giati 8elw na teleiwsw kai to Catching Fire, opote eimaste entos programmatos :)

message 6: by Zaras (new) - added it

Zaras Yiannis ante akoma to review? :p

missEvi [can't commit to a book] polu xarhka pou sou arese!

Alkyoni vasika einai apo ta vivlia poy 8a mou kanei trelh entypwsh an DEN aresei se kapoion. Pame Froi :)