Tom Callaway's Reviews > The Inner Circle

The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer

Oct 17, 11

This was my first Brad Meltzer book, and it started out well, but as time went on, a few things became painfully obvious:
1. "No one is who they appear to be at first." And I mean, no one. Not a single named character escapes this cliche.
2. Towards the second half of the book, we get hit with Dan-Brown mini chapters, intended to add suspense, but only achieve a sense of talking to the reader as if he/she is 5 years old.
3. The plot gets more and more and more convoluted...I halfway expected space aliens or mole people to emerge as the masterminds. Then again, when the plot collapses on itself in a rushed made-for-tv movie-like dramatic moment (in a puddle, in a cave) we're repeatedly reminded by the author that he has left plot threads dangling, unresolved...
4. ... because he's already working on a sequel! Did you notice that I introduced these unresolved plot threads during the final 75 pages? Then pointed them out in mini-chapters?

Meltzer seems like a smart guy, well versed in historical and military lore, but this book feels like his publisher requested a "Dan Brown series of novels".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inner Circle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael I agree: This was a terrible novel! Probably his worst. I can easily recommend his older books though, don't dismiss him just yet.

message 2: by Jae (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jae Couldn't have said it better myself. The characters were completely flat and the story was mundane. Too bad this was my first book by Brad Meltzer.

Cynthia I just finished this book. I, too, thought it was a waste of time. Please, someone explain to me why Clementine or Beecher would have to worry about cancer if they were born before their fathers underwent experimentation at the hands of the army!

Heather Antoy Stephenson This review is spot on!!!