Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Destined

Destined by Jessie Harrell

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: 2011-release, 2011-debut-authors, arcs-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews, signed-books-arcs, 2011-100-book-challenge
Read in November, 2011

I am a huge sucker for a well written Greek mythology re-telling, and Destined delivers a story that's engaging, witty, fast paced and fun. This is a story that I feel isn't as well known as the other, and I really enjoyed Jessie's unique re-telling of Cupid and Psyche's mythology! I've not read a story that centered on Eros before and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's an exciting blend of romance, passion, and there's an enticing character chemistry between Eros and Psyche that kept me turning the pages.

I adored the characters. Eros and Psyche are both flawed, yet strong characters. They start off not wanting anything to do with each other, but end up falling for each other in such a natural way. I loved how the two of them earned each other's love. I loved how determined both were about earning the other's love. Eros is the one that surprised me the most. He's so passionate, honest and when he could have easily forced Psyche to love him, he gave her the choice, though she didn't stand much of a chance in telling him no after all he does for her. Psyche herself is not just a beautiful person on the outside, but inside. She herself just wants to be loved for who she is, and surprisingly finds that in someone she first despised. One of the things I really admired about both characters is the fact they own up to their flaws and mistakes, and don't make excuses for them. They both do some stupid things, but in trying to correct their mistakes they earn admiration and respect from each other. I really adored their love story *sigh*

This story wouldn't be complete with out a bit of a betrayal and of course jealousy. The betrayal in this story was fabulous! Jessie did such a great job at creating a love story about an act of betrayal. The jealously that stems of this was written perfectly into the story. I'll admit, I didn't see that one coming, though I should have. I really enjoyed the way in which Jessie revealed pieces of information at all the right times. It made the story flow so well and kept me completely invested in what was going to happen next. Destined is rich in details, character development, mythology and has a well thought out plot line that left me wanting more. I loved that the story is told in alternating points of view between Psyche and Eros. There's plenty of romance along with heartbreak, pain, hope, love, passion and redemption within in the pages of this story. I think fans of Greek mythology will really love this well written, unforgettable story. It's a clean cut, must have read that I highly recommend picking it up!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.