Jesse's Reviews > Shadows Return

Shadows Return by Lynn Flewelling

May 30, 14

bookshelves: most-precious-of-all-preciouses
Read from October 16 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy

Seregil and Alec are back in Rhíminee, but reminders are everywhere that the times have changed. Phoria is a much different queen than her mother Idrilain was, and almost everyone else has been affected by the unfolding events of the past three books...times are getting darker, and most of the characters are getting more serious and sober. Reading this installment, I really miss Nysander. Alec and Seregil are tough and can make it on their own, but there isn't quite as much levity.

I sighed, a bit, when reading the synopsis for this and found that Seregil and Alec would be sold into slavery in Plenimar. I'd been curious about Plenimar since the beginning, since the country itself has been in the periphery for the most part.

As usual, by the time I finished reading the first page, I was hooked, and couldn't put the book down.

(view spoiler)

One other interesting thing: there is a marked increase in sexual references. Not saying I mind, because I don't! But it was interesting. Whereas sexual topics were skirted around (albeit poetically) for the most part in the first three installments, in this one the references are a lot more direct. I, for one, thought it was very refreshing (and probably also a sign of the times...the first three were written over ten years ago and attitudes have become more open-minded since then). I have to say, though, it was a pretty cool change to not beat around the bush as much.

All in all this was another solid 5 stars. I can't get enough of the Nightrunners.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows Return.