Alex at Raiding Bookshelves's Reviews > The Mockingbirds

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

May 08, 12

bookshelves: to-buy, 2012-books, reviewed, reviewed-2012
Read in May, 2012

When a young girl at Themis Academy wakes up next to a stranger, naked and surrounded by condoms, with no memory of the night before, she is horrified. Alex is mortified not to remember losing her virginity she doesn't realise just how much she has really lost until she talks to her sister, Casey, founder the Mockingbirds.
Alex turns to the Mockingbirds who support her as she comes to terms with her memories of that night, they are determined to bring her justice.

What I Liked: This was not anything like what I expected. Somehow I missed the reference to rape in the blurb when I first heard about The Mockingbirds and expected a cute little story about a student organisation filled with fifteen and sixteen year old Batman wannabes.
What I got was a heart wrenching and mortifying glimpse into the most frightening and intimate of thefts. Using her own life changing experience in college, Whitney creates a story of magnificent courage and determination that pales only in comparison to her own actions to fight on behalf of victimised women.
Alex is a musician and her connection to her music, music composed by Bach in particular, was beautiful. The way 'Ode to Joy' was tarnished by her experience until she can truly make it her own again composed a lovely accompaniment to the story.

Read more: http://raidingbookshelves.blogspot.co...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mockingbirds.