Lisa (Badass Bookie)'s Reviews > Beautiful Days

Beautiful Days by Anna Godbersen

Oct 16, 2011

Read from October 16 to 20, 2011

The Short Story? – Glamorous and addictive, set in the era of the roaring twenties, Beautiful Days is a highly entertaining historical fiction that’s bound to captivate your hearts. A novel about the ambitious and glamorous lives of three best friends, Beautiful Days is not to disappoint! Gossip Girl set in the glamorous twenties!

The Long Story? – I’m in love with this series! If you have read The Luxe by Godberson you would know that it’s historical fiction about the rich and young. It’s about social classes and the scandals of the beautiful and privileged. Beautiful Days is more or less along the same lines, it’s about the rich and beautiful but it’s got this extra sparkle that only a story set in roaring twenties would have. Glamorous and dazzling, I loved the plot! Filled with exciting and luxuries parties, young love and ambition to be famous. It’s highly entertaining and worth every cent! I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t enjoy this novel! Fantastic!

The novel is told from the perspectives of three best friends, each with ambition to be someone in the era of glamour. My favourite characters of all would be Cordelia, the heiress to a bootlegging business. She’s filled with confidence, she funny and she’s considerate. More than anything she can support herself and make her own decisions. Her sweetheart Max, a talented pilot is irresistible! Letty would be my least favorite character. I’m a little annoyed at her dependent, self-pitying nature and I honestly don’t know how anyone can stand her! She’s living off Cordelia’s generosity and she wants to be famous yet she’s sitting around waiting! By the end of the novel, she seems to grow confident and she’s (kind of) growing on me so I’ll wait to judge :) Astrid is the poster child for rich and privileged. For her it’s all about flirting, glamorous parties and pretty dresses but she’s also furiously loyal and very kind. These three girls are going to grow on you, great development.

If you love novels about the rich, young and beautiful. If you’re looking for a glamorous novel about expensive dresses, scandals and social classes. If you’re looking for something that will dazzle you, pick up Beautiful Days. Godberson has written her best novel yet, anything goes in the roaring twenties and these three girls are having the time of their lives. Highly entertaining and addictive, it’s a guaranteed good read!

Rating – 6/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Days.

10/16/2011 page 120
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Curious to know what you think. I really enjoyed the first book!

Lisa (Badass Bookie) Love it! I LOVED Bright Young Things and this doesn't disappoint! Very good storyline! Much better than The Luxe :) Def. give it a go!

message 3: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Thanks. I mean, how do you top the opening of the first book? One of them will be married, one of them will be famous, one of them will be dead??? (I may have misquoted that a little, but still!)

Lisa (Badass Bookie) I know right! I can kind of see what each one is but I *hope* I'm wrong! Love Cordelia! Jst finished it, brilliant! Make sure you read ;)