Sarah Beth's Reviews > Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero

Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: firstreadsgiveaways
Read in January, 2012

This is a Goodreads First reads give away review. Ok, I'm going to be honest. This book was not as exciting as I thought it would be. 9/11 stories interest me and this one looked particular unique. However, this book is more about blindness than it is about surviving 9/11. Hingson advocates the position that blind people are absolutely no different than sighted people and that blindness is merely an inconvenience, like being left-handed. He does have an incredible life story that is interesting to read. He learned to ride his bike by himself, he's flown an airplane, driven a car, and at the time of 9/11, he was a regional sales manager making a six-figure salary. He hasn't let blindness hold him back. He also talks a lot about the relationship between a guide dog and its owner. As great as all that was, I feel that this book was improperly advertised as a book about 9/11. It has much more to do with blindness. It wasn't a page turner for me. I found myself wanting to get back to the parts about 9/11 (the actual 9/11 story is pretty short, it's just spread out throughout the book), not blindness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunder Dog.