Heather T's Reviews > Manifest

2003692
Oct 15, 2011

it was ok
Read from October 15 to 17, 2011

It got a little better, but the main character was so annoying that it was hard to get into the story. I was happy to finally get a story where the main character isn't your typical "white" teen. However, there's finally a book with some diversity and I'm afraid everyone is just going to think the character is fulfilling the stereotype of angry black woman because the main character is so pissed off at everyone, but I think the stereotype more accurately falls with your regular angry, disgruntled teenager that's pissed off at the world. I'm bothered by the fact that it will probably be interpreted the first way by more than one person. I'm sure the majority will figure it out, but there are idiots out there. (Perhaps here I should add that the main character is 1/2 Black 1/4 Cherokee and 1/4 Caucasian?)
Anyway, as to the plot...blah! It got a little interesting, but it was predictable and even the "exicting" moments weren't so exciting. There was just something about the writing style that I just didn't connect with. i felt a disconnect between me and the characters that kept me from being able to settle into the read. Honestly, I almost gave up on it multiple times, but it was such a quick read for me that I felt like I just had to trudge through. I might give this author another chance one day, but I'll be using my library instead of paying full price until I see something much better from Mrs. Arthur, although I am rooting for her.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manifest.