Elizabeth's Reviews > The Last Little Blue Envelope

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson

Oct 15, 2011

Read in April, 2011

Warning: Because this is the second book in this series, this review may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.

I come to you, a second week in a row, with a book I am very excited about. The Last Little Blue Envelope holds a near and dear place in my heart because 13 Little Blue Envelopes was the first book I read by Maureen Johnson. I haven’t read 13LBE in almost two years, but from what I remember, the book leaves us off at the point in which Ginny returns home after getting her backpack stolen. The backpack with the 13 envelopes (from her recently deceased Aunt Peg). The book left readers wondering what happened to that last envelope as well as Ginny’s life after her massive adventure through Europe.

Last Little Blue Envelope starts off with Ginny stressing out about college until she gets a mysterious email from someone who claims they have the last blue envelope. Ginny returns to England to meet the mysterious Oliver, and ventures off into the depths of Europe once again to follow the tasks laid out in the 13th letter. Oh, and we must not forget, there is a lot of tension between Keith and Ginny.

I enjoyed the characters in this novel. Maureen Johnson brought back some oldies but goodies (Richard and Keith) and introduced us to some new and amazing ones as well (Ellis and Oliver). She manages to write humorous characters without them being ridiculous, and I really admire that. Also, I loved Oliver. He comes off really sketchy at first, but he redeems himself several times. And I want to be best friends with Ellis. She’s so adorable and friendly! Also, I love Richard. I want him to be my uncle!

The storyline is a coming-of-age tale with a unique twist. Instead of laying it out and simply stating, “Your teenage years are going to be rough and there’s going to be a lot of turmoil,” she uses these letters to send Ginny on a journey in which she faces trials while on the road to self-discovery. The romance side of the story makes me giggle like a middle school girl in that Ginny swoons every time Keith is around. Seriously, get a hold on yourself, girl! But really, we all felt like that around the first guy we really liked, didn’t we?

I am a big fan of pacing. Seriously. And this book had it down! By that I mean it was well paced and the middle didn’t drag like in some other MJ books (Bermudez Triangle). I really enjoyed that even when they were in the car or on one of the many ferries, there was something going on.

Let me take off my “Liz is a super serious book blogger/vlogger” hat and just say that I flailed a bit (a lot) in this book. MJ mentions Doctor Who and I’m quite certain she makes a reference to Reservoir Dogs. I’m sure there are more nerdy references (and references of other sorts) in the book.

This book is not just a cute and quite humorous book, it is also quite beautiful. I cried in the graveyard scene when Ginny reads that part of the letter. It was so beautifully written. I’m almost tearing up thinking about it now! Also, there’s a bit in that scene when Aunt Peg is writing about how women shouldn’t hold back from doing something they love just because it may be something stereotypically “manly”.

I seriously can’t think of anything negative to say about this book. I guess I could complain to the fact that it wasn’t very long. I would have liked to have seen more of Oliver. But that’s too far in the land of subjectivity. I know a few people will complain about a certain relationship in the novel, but I have zero complaints on it. Ahem.

I loved this novel. Everything about it was fantastic and it was the perfect pick-me-up book to read after reading a heavy book like Mockingjay. I love how the deep parts seemed natural alongside the humorous parts. I could go on for hours but
Note: the ending of this review will make sense once you read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Little Blue Envelope.

04/09/2011 page 44
14.0% 1 comment
04/10/2011 page 105
35.0% 1 comment
04/11/2011 page 169
56.0% "Heartstrings. Seriously. Maureen Johnson, YOU FOUND THEM. Ugh, this book is so good."
show 1 hidden update…