Kelly Knapp's Reviews > Thirteen Hours

Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer

Nov 03, 12

Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads giveaway
Read in November, 2011, read count: Once

Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer is an intricate and detailed mystery. Meyer’s protagonist is an alcoholic policeman trying not to fall off the wagon. The department is undermanned and outdated. The criminals are numerous and getting more violent.

This is the first novel I have read by Deon Meyers. It follows one officer from the moment he is called out on a murder to the end of his day, approximately 13 hours later. I am in awe of the depth to which we are drawn into his characters.

His plot seems disconnected and even manipulated for the first few chapters, but everything slowly begins to interconnect one with another and the reader is hooked. Had I read other books by Meyer’s before this one, I might have been prepared for the elaborate portrayal of the very minutia. And more impressed, perhaps?

However, I found myself stumbling over the local jargon and the incessant vulgarities. I am not referring to the scenes of nudity but the verbal vulgarities. Perhaps that is the way in which police officers think and talk, but I was singularly unimpressed. I seemed too much, like it was more for shock value, or worse…so commonplace to the author that he expected his readers to be numb to the issue. Sadly, this could have been one of the most magnificent contemporary stories I had ever read.

I won this book through Goodreads First Reads Program!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Hours.