Elizabeth's Reviews > Keeping the Moon

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen

Jul 16, 13

bookshelves: contemporary-realistic-fiction
Read in May, 2011

I thought the plot in this book was great. It’s a short and easy read, yes, but it also has a lot of self-discovery (nudged by her new friends) and discovering about people in general. Colie learns that she doesn’t need a facade to get the right boy to like her. I loved her interactions with other people, especially with Isabel and with her aunt. They both helped her find out that she is an amazing person and she doesn’t need someone’s approval to love the person she is.

I loved Isabel and Morgan. They were great. Although Morgan’s storyline was a bit dramatic at times, it was still quite realistic and she was still a lovely character. She always had a lesson to teach. Isabel was so quick witted. She had the tough love approach, which I think Colie needed at times. Norman’s character was great. He was the eccentric artsy guy who rebelled against his dad. His character actually caught me off-guard a few times.

Colie’s aunt was probably the greatest character. She’s so different, but she didn’t give a crap. She has all of these broken things in her house, and somehow that shows a part of her character. People talked about her behind her back, and she didn’t care. It wasn’t like she ignored it, but she knew who she was and she was okay with that.

The feel of the novel is very coming-of-age and self-discovery, and it’s so beautiful and touching. It had quite an original cast of characters. I think that’s what’s so great about Dessen’s novels. The characters are people you feel like you know.

I would recommend this as a summer read. Well, any time of year, but it’s set in the summer. Anyone who needs a good book about self-discovery, this is your book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping the Moon.