Heather's Reviews > Puke and Poo

Puke and Poo by Angela Royston

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: children, health-sciences, non-fiction, picture-books, science
Read on October 14, 2011

Another children's book on the digestive system for my comparative nonfiction project. This one is in the "Disgusting Body Facts" series from Raintree and is aptly named "Puke and Poo." I'm a fan of poo humor myself, but puke is really not my favorite thing. I'm not sure if the vomit picture on page 7 is real or simulated, but looking at it makes me want to do it, as does the drawing of the cartoon man spewing out about five gallons of liquid. All the same, the book covers a lot of good information about the digestive system while focusing on its grossest aspects. It also teaches kids some fancy vocabulary, like "regurgitate." Large text, nice(?) drawings, and some interesting pictures fill the pages (I was especially fascinated by the x-ray of some intestines with poo in them). Information includes why people throw up, why puke smells, burping/farts, how fiber helps you poop better, diarrhea, and constipation. In the back are some extra digestive facts, a glossary, a "find out more" section, and an index. A well-organized book, and it serves its purpose--I bet hundreds of little boys and girls would clamor to get their hands on this gem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Puke and Poo.