Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Dearly, Departed

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Oct 26, 11

bookshelves: for-review, from-publisher, netgalley
Read from October 22 to 26, 2011

I can honestly say this is not like any other zombie novel I’ve read or even heard of. What makes this book great are all the unique aspects to it. There are the typical killer horde zombies, but then there are also zombies who have retained their memories and intelligence. Take those and set them in a futuristic world where half the population is in a New Victorian age where there’s tons of digital technology, but fashion and social customs have gone back in time. The other half of the population? Well they’re punk (aka steampunk), shunning New Victorian technology. Sound awesome? Well it really is. The world building in ‘Dearly, Departed’ is fantastic because it’s believable, and there are all kinds of details to back up the author’s concept.

Where ‘Dearly, Departed’ lost me a bit is the narration style. I really liked Nora and Bram, and I kind of wish the book had just been from their perspectives. Instead we hear from three other characters as well, and while I enjoyed their POVs at times, mostly it just made the book feel a bit disjointed to me. As a result of all the back and forth I didn’t care about the story as much as I should have. The villain(s) of the story also seemed a bit one dimensional to me, and, well, despite Bram’s charms (like, I really adored him) I still have a hard time accepting a human/zombie romance. Overall, though, this is a perfectly decent book and well worth a read; I just didn’t click with it like others seem to have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly, Departed.

message 1: by Eden (new)

Eden Ooooh, I'm so excited about this one... but you didn't love it? :/

Ashley - Book Labyrinth Eden wrote: "Ooooh, I'm so excited about this one... but you didn't love it? :/"
Hmmm no I didn't love it, but I did like it. Definitely nothing fundamentally wrong with it, and a lot I did like about it... just didn't fully click with it or something.