Alex Templeton's Reviews > In Search of the Rose Notes

In Search of the Rose Notes by Emily Arsenault

Oct 15, 11

Read in September, 2011

While not as good (to me at least) as Arsenault's first novel, "The Broken Teaglass" (which, come on, was about a mystery that took place in CARD CATALOGS!!), this novel did have its high points. In it, twenty-something Nora returns to her hometown, where the body of her teenage babysitter, Rose, who had mysteriously disappeared years earlier, has just been found. When they were eleven, Nora and her best friend Charlotte (Rose's babysitting charge) became obsessed with figuring out what had happened to Rose, often guided by the information in Charlotte's collection of books on the paranormal. I found the mystery itself, especially the whodunit part, to be less than exciting. However, the book's main strength, and the one that I felt most poignant in the end, was the way that Arsenault portrayed that weird space you live in when you're a teenager, when friends change and emotions and behavior become inexplicable in ways that you'll only understand when you get older, if even then.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of the Rose Notes.