Jude's Reviews > Cut

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Feb 06, 14

bookshelves: favorites
Read from January 04 to 21, 2012

You know, it's hard to review a book like this one. I bought this book while I was going through some tough situations and they recommended it to me, saying it would help me with my own cutting issues. And, I'm happy to say, it did.

This book was no Love story, it was no inspirational story, not a memoir, not dramatic. It was just real. I was incredibly surprised when I heard that the author has never self-harmed, I really was, it was like reading my own story. Callie is a cutter and she's interned in a rehabilitation center, and also she refuses to speak or try to get better. Until she realizes that she can't stay silent forever, and that maybe, just maybe she can get better.

The book is very short, it's only 160 pages long and it's pocket size. It isn't even Callie's full story, just the beginning of it. If you have troubles with self harm, it's a must read, it makes you realize you're not alone with your feelings, but most importantly, this book can help you take that first and most difficult step: It can help you understand that you are worth the recovery. And for the rest, this book is an insider, it'll make you understand why would someone go as far as to harm themselves, not to agree, but to understand.

The most amazing thing about the book is, like I mentioned before, that the author has never self harmed, it really is shocking, she captured everything perfectly. Cut is a simple, small book, with a story and emotions that are complicated, messy and painful. For me, this book became personal and like I said, no love story, no huge drama, and yet, it was life changing for me. I've been working hard on my recovery and this book has had a major role in it. I honestly hope that this book will inspire more people like myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cut.

01/19/2012 page 117

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane Great review and I'm glad this helps individuals feel less alone. I love that song Breathe Me by Sia.

Vanessa Great review, this was a very good novel about cutting. I used to be a cutter as well. Another great novel about cutting is Willow, I don't know if you've checked it out. I hope you the best. :)

Jude Jennifer wrote: "Great review and I'm glad this helps individuals feel less alone. I love that song Breathe Me by Sia."

Jude Vanessa wrote: "Great review, this was a very good novel about cutting. I used to be a cutter as well. Another great novel about cutting is Willow, I don't know if you've checked it out. I hope you the best. :)"

Yes, I have it :) I've been reading it slowly, I've read a few novels with this sort of subject and I just really need to digest them slowly ^^

message 5: by Yassie (new)

Yassie im glad that this book helped with your isue and love the demi lovato song too

message 6: by Glass (new) - added it

Glass Great review, Jude.